It was with regret that your Messingham Show Committee had to cancel the 115th Messingham Show on Sunday the 7th June 2020 due to concerns for the health and well-being of show attendees, volunteers, traders, competitors and performers surrounding the spread of Coronavirus..
Messingham Show Committee has not had to cancel Messingham Show other than the two World Wars and the Foot and Mouth outbreak in 2001 so we did not make this decision lightly. We are unable to postpone Messingham Show until later in the year as we are part of the National Show Jumping Calendar. Furthermore, we do not wish to impact on other shows in Northern Lincolnshire which may, hopefully, be able to continue.
It is said that “the show must go on” and Messingham Show Committee remains committed to putting on the 115th Messingham Show on Sunday 6th June 2021. In 2021 we will see the return of Horse Showing Classes and Private Carriage Driving Classes as well as a new music stage by the beer tent where you will be able to see local bands perform – perhaps including the Hedley Brothers?
In the meantime, Messingham Show Committee would like to go ahead with the Messingham Village Scarecrow Competition that would have preceded this year’s Show. Over the past two years there have been some fantastic entries and presented a great local trail to follow – perhaps a trail you could walk this year whilst taking your daily exercise whilst observing social distancing?
This is how Messingham Village Scarecrow Competition 2020 will operate:
1. For the competition to be judged and the prize money awarded there must be no less than 50 entries received by noon on 6th June 2020.
2. Entrants must live or work in Messingham Parish.
3. The prize money will come from Messingham Show Committee Funds.
4. First prize – £250 to the charity of the winner’s choice.
5. Second prize – £150 to the charity of the second-place winner’s choice.
6. Third prize – £100 to the charity of the third-place winner’s choice.
7. Entries to be made from materials at home already. No shopping trips please.
8. Key worker theme – NHS, Ambulance, Police, Fire, Teacher, Bus / Delivery Driver, Shop Assistant, Post person etc. etc.
9. To enter send ONE (1) photo of your scarecrow to Messingham Show Committee via the Messingham Show Facebook page between 1st June and noon 6th June. Remember to nominate your charity with your photo.
10. Judging will take place on what would have been Messingham Show day 2020 – Sunday 7th June. The judging will be undertaken by five (5) Messingham Show Committee members acting independently of each other and scoring out of ten (10). We will not meet up due to social distancing. The judge’s decision is final and no communications will be entered into.
11. Messingham Show Committee will contact the wining charity and donate the prize money on behalf of the winner via BACS. No one need to meet anyone.
12. Promotion via Facebook and Twitter #MHFS #MHFSScarecrow.
Messingham Show Committee wishes you all well during this difficult time and good luck in this year’s Messingham Show Village Scarecrow Competition.